Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hydration Appreciation


My garden is watered via a hose - trickling in ditches and "dishes" - no sprinklers.  It's a conservation thing. And our dog completely loves it.  I unwind the hose and she happily dashes to the garden gate.  The water fills thirsty indents while I weed or pick veggies ... or smack mosquitoes.  Daisy follows me to each area, investigates briefly, then flops down in a dog-size dent nearby.  That doesn't last long in the summer heat.  She retreats to the shaded deck, returning only if I call or if she needs a drink.  I adore our neurotic mutt (she barks at everyone), but face slurping is generally off limits.  However, this is one time when it is always allowed because I'm fairly certain she'd just feel awful and offended if it wasn't.  

The routine:  Daisy shows up and stares at the hose lying in the dirt.  "Hey girl - ya' thirsty?"  I lean down, lift the hose, cup my hand and let the water trickle into it.  Slurp, slurp, slurp... slurp, slurp.  Wagwagwag.  (I swear I can see her smile.)  My head is just above hers.  She gratefully and quickly plants a sloppy dripping kiss on my chin.  "You're welcome!"  Yes, I say that out loud and with enthusiasm.  Back to the deck she goes.  Back to watering & weeding I go.



I'm kinda' glad the dog is the only one who wants to drink from the hose.

No comments: