Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sticks Rocks!

Harvest is over and we can take a little break from farm talk.  Remember, this is a "rambling" blog.  So, time to ramble about work a bit.  There is always music in my office at the university.  Nine ladies, ages 19 to 50ish, listening to one radio.  Our likes range from various modern stuff to country to oldies to the two oddballs who like rap.  The radio is on either country, pop/rock, or a station playing a mix of "oldies" - 1950's to 90's, but mostly 70's & 80's.  Us "older" ladies like that one quite a bit.

The other day I was discussing vacationing and my search for a good concert at the end of June.  Amazingly enough, Styx was playing twice within half a day's drive from here!  Yeah!  Unfortunately, it was the week of harvest and I was bummed that I couldn't even attempt to go.  Dang!  As I'm whining about this, one of our student workers turns to me and asks... "Who's Styx?"  (Though I think in her head she probably was saying "Who's Sticks?") ....... WHAT?!  'Who's Styx?!?'... My face was temporarily frozen in disbelief mode...  o_O ... REALLY?   The elders razzed her for being clueless.  Thankfully she'd seen Big Daddy recently and remembered the court scene mentioning the critics not giving Styx their due.  Not that it actually helped because she didn't recognize any of the incredibly awesome classic Styx songs I played for her.  She did know Mr. Roboto.  Ugh.  (No. I will not include a link to their worst song ever.)

Wow, I'm still in disbelief just typing out the conversation....

Next day, same office, oldies station playing.  "Okay, do you know who the Steve Miller Band is?"... pause... "No.  Why?  Should I?"  I didn't have to respond this time.  Another elder said emphatically "YES!"  That turned into a discussion of what her parents listened to.  Turns out her dad listens to some guy in the pickup on his way to work.  Talk radio?  Nope.  Some old album he really likes.  She looks it up in her phone and asks... "Have you heard of Bob Ci-gar?" (.... ba-hahaha ...) "or Bob Say-gar?" (...ahahaha...)  She's a terrific and obviously very young girl, but... oh my.  Through my laughter and tears I get out - "Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band." 

Seriously... How old am I?

No comments: